March 5, 2011

Welcome to the South!

I moved from Utah to Georgia at the beginning of last summer.  Leaving my friends and family, I embarked on a new journey to the south to move in with my boyfriend Tim.  The south is... different.  Especially compared to Utah.  It has definitely been an experience!  

There are some great things about living in Georgia!
1.  Food.  Peaches, peach cobbler, candied pecans, fried green tomatoes, fried chicken, and boiled peanuts are among the great foods that make up the cuisine here in Georgia.  Mmm...  :-)  It's no wonder that this state has a high obesity rate.  I mean, it's a good thing I have a decent metabolism and will power not to eat everything I see.
2.  Scenery.  The peach and pecan tree orchards are so beautiful here!  Especially at sunset!
3.  Atlanta.  It is definitely fun to visit the city now and then.  My friend Ali has introduced me to salsa dancing and we have gone dancing at a few clubs in Atlanta.  I never thought I would be one to go dancing at clubs, but, it is seriously a blast!

Some bad things about living in Georgia...
1.  Everybody smokes.  It is seriously gross.  You go dancing at a club or go to a bar and you come home wreaking of smoke.  It clings to your clothes, your hair, everything.  Yuck.
2.  You cannot buy alcohol on Sundays.  Weird?  I know.  But I guess we are in the Bible Belt. 

All of the girls I work with have thick southern accents.  We both make fun of each other about the way we talk and the sayings that we use.


For example:
The word "oil".  Southerners pronounce it "ull".  Like there isn't even an "i" in the word!  Same thing goes for "boil".  They prononce it "bull".  Like, "Let's order some "bulled peanuts".

A saying they have that I don't understand is "fixin'".  They say, "I'm fixin' to make dinner." or "I'm fixin' to go to the store.".  What are you fixing?!   How about, "I'm going to make dinner." or "I'm going to the store."?

And everyone knows this one.  "Ya'll."  In fact, everyone here makes fun of me for saying, "You guys.".

Well, those are just a few things about the south that I wanted to share!  I'm sure there will be more additions as time goes on!  Like I said, it has been an experience.  A good one though.  :-)



2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my life living in Montgomery and in South Carolina! Like worlds apart from the West coast haha. I am loving that you are starting a blog too :) We shall see who retells the flowers story best... game on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We dont all smoke! I find it repulsive! Also, I have lived in GA my whole life and I continously correct people when they say "I am fixin...". Have you heard the older people who say "I am fintna..."? Lol. Welcome to Georgia and thank God for good genes and high metabolism!

    ReplyDelete